1. Don’t Link Twitter, Facebook and Your Email Newsletter Together. AH! STOP! NO! These are all different types of media and they should NOT be linked together. That is like eating pasta with peanut butter and jelly. They just don’t go well together. Seriously, each network is TOTALLY different and needs to be treated that way. This also makes you look lazy. Sorry, had to say it because I want you to look your BEST!!!!
2. Don’t RANT! I hate to be the one to tell you, but you look REALLY unprofessional and BAD when you rant about politics, religion or the slow driver you got behind on the way to the office this morning. Whatever you do…don’t rant about things that make you look really bad. There is a difference between complaining and talking about a subject that is important to you with grace and dignity.
3. Don’t Dabble! Okay, where are my social media dabblers? I know you are out there! You don’t have to raise your hand, because you already know who you are. You dabble. You post when you feel like it or when you little brain says…”You know I should be posting this on Instagram.” Well, listen my dear friend…this little voice is not helping you. Change the thought to, “I am going to put together an EFFECTIVE strategy for my social media.”
But…what if you don’t know how to do that? THEN LEARN or HIRE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO! Believe me, it is SO worth it. How would you like to make more money and have a stronger community of clients? How? Through social media, other forms of digital marketing, AND offline marketing.
4. Don’t Post a Promotion or Sale Once and Expect Tons of Sales! Unless you’ve cultivated a huge following and have nurtured them, you are not going to get a ton of sales when you just pop on and post. You have to nurture your fans and cultivate a relationship and a culture. Then you need to post your promotion or sale multiple times in multiple ways.
5. Don’t Be Anyone But You! Make sure you are being you. Be authentic, be real, be honest and be YOU! That is what people really want. They want to see the real business owner they are doing business with, not a fake one.
6. Don’t EVER Ignore a Review! Imagine someone walked up to you and said, “Thank you so much for helping me the other day, I really enjoyed you and think you are fabulous,” what would you do? Would you turn your back to them and say nothing? Heck and no! You would say thank you. YOU MUST do the same thing on your social pages. Take the time to say thank you and be courteous to your clients. Your clients PAY YOU, they put food on your table, they put clothes on your back, they put your kids through school, they warm you in the winter….don’t take them for granted. LOVE THEM!
7. Don’t Make This BIG Mistake! You’ve probably gotten this message by now, but always selling on social networks doesn’t work. You have to give value and meet your fans’ needs. So, what does that mean exactly? Make them laugh, touch their hearts, make them smile, make them feel important to you, and give them information that can better their lives. That is how you give value and meet needs.
What other don’ts do you suggest? I’d love to hear from you and please feel free to share a flare if there are folks you think this can help.
Cheers, Love and Success,
Get my latest articles delivered to your email boxEach week I reveal key ingredients that will make your small business soar on social media and more.
Amanda BrazelOwner/Expert Social Media Manager for Small Business. Read More.
Amanda Brazel | Digital Media Marketing Done For You