50 Low & NO Cost Marketing Ideas for Your Small Business!
Most businesses that struggle and tell me their stories of why they can’t be more successful are usually because they believe they do not have enough money to market their business or marketing their business is too hard.
In today’s economy many small businesses are struggling to get a foothold and the honest truth is it takes hard work and quality skills to get new business. It’s tough out there and I get that. I really do. But, don’t give up like so many do. Stay tough, learn new skills, practice and put yourself out there. You can do this.
Today as the new year starts I wanted to write you a blog that could help you understand how you can really make amazing things happen for your business when you know all the ways in which you can market it with little or no cost.
Yes, every business needs capital however I know first hand it’s possible to start a business with very little money. For example, my very first business I started with only $200 and within 3 months I was completely booked with clients and within 6 months I was hiring my first 2 employees. Anything is possible if you have the right mindset, product or service and put elbow grease/skills into your marketing.
Now before I share with you my ’50 low and no cost marketing strategies’ I want to make my favorite statement…“Marketing does not have to expensive, but it does have to be effective.”
Here’s my case and point. I worked with a client in Canada. He was paying $12,000 per year for a bill board ad. Before he spoke to me he didn’t get 1 phone call or lead from that ad. After we worked on the ad and made a few minor tweaks he re-did the ad and within the first week he had 4 new leads and 2 new clients. That is what effective marketing can do for you whether you are spending big bucks or nothing at all.
50 Marketing Ideas For Under $200
- Referral Partners: Free or for % of sales
- Networking Lunches: $50 or less
- Business Cards: $50
- Email List Renting: .50 per email or $200 per 1000 emails.
- Start a Referral Program and reward clients/patients that refer you
- Email Your Current Clients: FREE
- Door to Door: Put bags together and deliver door to door. $3.00-$5.00 Per Door
- Ask Regularly for Referrals: FREE
- Facebook Ads: $2.00-$5.00 per day and drive traffic to your website or event.
- Car Magnets: $40
- Link Exchange Partners: FREE
- You Tube Videos: FREE – No Cost Video Marketing Works
- Pinterest: FREE
- Bags of Gifts and Information: Put small bags together and distribute, for example: Photographer: Deliver enough for preschooler’s parents. Mortgage Broker: Deliver to a Divorce Lawyer or a Financial Advisor.
- Local Fairs/Events: $200
- Host a Free Educational Evening: Cost of Materials (Do it at home or at a friend’s/client’s.)
- Radio Spot: FREE
- Publish E-zine Articles: FREE
- Podcast: FREE
- Webinars: FREE (There are free services or you can buy Go To Webinar for $100)
- Publish LinkedIn Articles: FREE
- Pre-Recorded Messages on Phone Message: $15 + $39.95 per month
- Blogs or Guest Blogs: FREE
- Hire a Santa Claus, Partner with a Photographer and Host a Family Event (Easter Bunny)
- Internet Ads on Various Websites: $25 – $200
- Text Marketing: $50 for 1 Keyword + 500 Texts
- Display Post Cards in Local Businesses: FREE to Display $40 for 100 Oversized Postcards
- Local TV Show Segment: FREE
- Silent Charity Auctions: COG or Services
- Write an E-Book: $100 for technical help
- Write Magazine Column: FREE
- Write Local Newspaper Column: FREE
- Volunteer for an Event: $200 or Less
- Google Ad Network Browsing Ads: You set price.
- Bing Pay Per Click: You set price.
- Yahoo Pay Per Click: You set price.
- Free Samples: COG
- Talk to People: FREE
- Mastermind Groups: FREE
- Free Website Business Listings: FREE
- Share Buttons on Website: $50-$100 (Cost of labor)
- Flyers: .49 per flyer
- Throw a Party at Your House or Friend’s/Client’s Home: $200
- Do Direct Mail Yourself: $40 for 100 Large Post Cards + .49 to mail each piece. Mail a Small Amount of Cards Each Week. (Mail them to referral partners or people that can refer you.)
- Street Signs: 15 Street Signs for $200 (DirtCheapSigns.com)
- Some Business Conferences: FREE or up to $200
- Car Window Decals: $20-$40
- Farmers Markets: $20 (one-time) or $125 per year.
- Ask Friends & Family to Refer you: FREE
- Word of Mouth: FREE
Any one of these marketing strategies can bring in more business…if you understand how to use the tool in the right way. The more successful you are at using the tool, the more successful you will be at attracting new business.
Here are a few tips:
- Know who your target audience is before you choose which strategies you will use. Some of these ideas will NOT work for your business, but most of them will.
- Have a clear concise message that will move people to take action. Don’t clutter your materials with information that is not important.
- Have a specific call to action. (Call Now to Receive a FREE Consultation or Visit this Website to Receive a Free Gift or Giveaway Contest, etc.)
- Use Benefit Language. Talk about what results your clients will receive from using your business. Talk to your potential client from their perspective and not yours.
- Repetition, repetition, repetition.
- Get PASSIONATE about marketing! The more passion, the more energy, the better the return on everything in your life.
- Read this blog post about: Weak at Marketing? Learn 5 Key and Crucial Marketing Power Tips That Create Success!
Do you have any specific questions about your business and how to use one of these low cost or no cost strategies? Feel free to comment below and ask away. I am here to help you.
You Can Do This,
Posted on 01-01, 2015