Instagram is a very unique platform compared to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Google + and Vine. Instagram is about posting organic real time photos of what is going on in your personal life, work life or business. It’s like telling a story in a photograph As the amazing Instagram Expert Jenn Herman says, “Your pictures on Instagram are worth 1000 words. So, what 1000 words do you want each of your photos to say about your brand, public personality or business?” It’s an excellent question to ask yourself as you develop your strategy and succeed with Instagram marketing.
Here are 11 tips that are going to help you succeed.
1. Create a Bio: Your Bio is very important and unlike many other platforms where your Bio is hidden, Instagram’s bio is right up front and center. This is valuable real estate for your message. Make it clear, make it compelling and create is so people will want to actually follow you. No bio, no follow.
2. Understand Your Audience: Who is your target market, who is your audience, what age group are they, what are they into, what do they crave, what are their problems, what do they dream about, what keeps them up at night etc.? This is something you want to know inside and out. Get to know your audience. One way to do this is by looking at their profiles and learn more about them.
3. Post High Quality Photos: Take time to create your photos and do ‘photography staging’. Think about it as if you were getting ready to sell your house. Would it sell easier if it was all cluttered and filled with junk or would it sell better if it was nicely staged, clean and stylish? Instagram works in the same way. So, take your time to take quality photos and play photographer, stylist or stager. It is so much fun.
4. Let Folks Inside Your Business and Make it Organic: Show photos of behind the scenes. Bring your fans into your world. That will intrigue them and makes your brand more interesting.
5. Don’t Make Your Instagram Business Profile Like Facebook: Instagram is NOT like Facebook. It is completely different. It’s about posting real time photos that are organic, authentic, and genuine. So, don’t think “oh Instagram is the next hot thing and copy your Facebook approach.” It won’t work and will make you look like you have no idea what you are doing.
6. Create Fun Short Videos: You can even use Flipagram to string a 15 second video of photos together or create a 15 second clip of information that engaged and helps your audience. It might be a quick message that you want to share or a quick commercial that showcases a product or service that you offer. This is a fun way to engage your audience and show them what you are all about.
7. Hashtags are a HUGE Plus: Know your top 20 hashtags and use them wisely. I recommend using 5-7 hashtags per post and no more. Get creative and fun with them. Use some of the top popular ones that are connected to your brand as well as ones that are not so popular and make up your own. This will help more people find you. You can find popular hashtags on iconossquare.com webstagram.com or populagram.com
8. Measure Your Results: Use key metrics and measure your progress with iconosquare. This will help you see the total number of likes received, your most liked photos ever, your average number of likes and comments per photo, your follower growth as well when your followers are most active on Instagram. It’s an amazing tool.
9. Find Kindred Spirits in Your Niche of Field: The best people to connect with are people that will support you and you can support them. So, reach out to folks in your niche for added support, engagement, ideas and more.
10. Respond to Your Audience: As people comment and engage with you, remember to engage back. No ones likes to be ignored. So, remember that even though this is online, it’s still networking and people like to feel important.
11. Connect Your Instagram Account to Share on Your Facebook Business Page: You can now share your Instagram photos directly onto your Facebook business page. This will help build your following on Instagram with your Facebook fans.
Are you using Instagram right now to grow your business? I’d love to hear from you.
Get my latest articles delivered to your email boxEach week I reveal key ingredients that will make your small business soar on social media and more.
Amanda BrazelOwner/Expert Social Media Manager for Small Business. Read More.
Amanda Brazel | Digital Media Marketing Done For You